You may be aware that Manuka Honey has many unique properties. Well, it’s not just the honey. Manuka Oil has some incredible benefits as well.
What is Manuka Oil?
The Manuka tree (Leptospermum scoparium) is native to New Zealand. It’s been used for centuries in traditional medicine. Rongoa Maori (traditional Maori healing system) uses the oil of the Manuka tree as an antiseptic, and seeds, bark and leaves to treat diarrhea, pain, inflammation, wounds and burns.
How is Manuka Oil made?
Manuka oil is produced using steam distillation not chemicals. Small branches and leaves are chopped, soaked and then steam-distilled. The steam contains the oil which is then condensed to release pure Manuka Oil.
What’s the difference between Manuka Oil and Tea Tree oil?
Manuka Oil and Tea Tree Oil often get mistaken for being similar, but they are in fact very different. Tea Tree Oil is a household name for many people in Australia and is distilled from the Melaleuca alternifolia tree.
Manuka Oil is a relatively new industry and is concentrated in New Zealand, where leptospermum scoparium, a unique variety of myrtle grows. While the properties are similar, and Manuka is often called the New Zealand Tea Tree, a comparison of Tea Tree Oil with Manuka Oil showed Manuka Oil to be for effective than Tea Tree Oil.
Manuka Oil from the East Cape of North Island, New Zealand has been shown to have the highest concentrations of beta triketone. Farmer Pete’s only choose Manuka Oil products that specify they’re from East Cape Manuka to have the highest health properties.
For thousands of years, one of the most incredible secrets to skin health has been hidden within the tiny leaves of the native New Zealand Manuka. Amongst windswept hillsides, it thrives in extreme weather conditions where other plants fail and regenerates itself where other trees cannot.
It’s secret? Triketones.
Nowhere does manuka have a higher triketone count than in plants grown in New Zealand’s rural East Cape region. Proven by science to have extraordinary effects on skin health, the triketones in East Cape Manuka oil offer powerful antibacterial and antioxidant properties, and help support inﬂammation, skin healing and cell turnover.
That’s why the Farmer Pete’s team only choose the best for your pet.
Benefits of Manuka Oil
Manuka (Leptospermum scoparium) plants are rich in leaf oils and because of this Manuka oil is rapidly becoming a must-have essential oil. As well as being one of the most versatile additions to the aromatherapy family, it has many scientifically proven benefits and healing properties. Manuka is one of nature’s most potent plants and the oil that it yields has strong antimicrobial properties making it antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and anti-inflammation.
Manuka essential oil has many special properties which can be beneficial in different areas and has been found to be up to 30 times more active than Australian tea tree oil against gram positive bacteria.
What are the benefits of Manuka Oil for dogs?
For dogs, some potential benefits of using Manuka oil are believed to be:
- Antimicrobial Properties: One of the most prominent benefits of Manuka oil for dogs lies in its potent antimicrobial properties. Manuka oil contains various compounds, including terpinen-4-ol, which exhibit antibacterial and antifungal activities. When applied topically, the oil may help combat bacterial and fungal infections in dogs' skin and ears. It can be used to clean and disinfect minor wounds, cuts, and abrasions, supporting the natural healing process.
- Skin and Coat Health: Dogs can suffer from various skin issues, including dryness, itchiness, and irritations. Manuka oil's soothing and moisturizing properties can be beneficial in alleviating these problems. When Farmer Pete’s Natural Dog Balm with Manuka oil is applied to the affected areas, the oil may help soothe itchiness and reduce redness. Additionally, its moisturizing effects can improve the overall health and appearance of your dog's coat, making it shinier and softer.
- Insect Repellent: The natural insect-repelling properties of Manuka oil can be advantageous in keeping pesky pests away from your canine companion. While it may not be as potent as some commercial chemical repellents, using Farmer Pete’s Manuka oil Dog Spritz as an additional layer of protection against fleas, ticks, and other insects can be a more natural alternative.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Skin inflammation is a common problem in dogs, often caused by allergies, irritants, or environmental factors. Farmer Pete’s Manuka oil Soap’s anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce redness, swelling, and discomfort associated with mild skin inflammation then followed by manuka dog balm for continued protection. However, for more severe conditions or if inflammation persists, consulting with a veterinarian is crucial for proper diagnosis and treatment.
- Aromatherapy and Stress Relief: Apart from topical use, the aromatic properties of Manuka oil can be used for aromatherapy to promote relaxation and stress relief in dogs. Farmer Pete’s Manuka Oil spritz calming scent can create a soothing environment, helping dogs cope with anxiety or stress during thunderstorms, fireworks, or other stressful situations.
While Manuka oil offers potential benefits, there are some precautions to consider:
- Dilution: Never use pure Manuka oil directly on your dog’s skin. Use Farmer Pete’s Manuka products as we have done the research for you and have paired Manuka Oil with the best products to produce Balm, soap and spritz for your dog. Undiluted essential oils can be too strong and might cause skin irritation or allergic reactions.
- Patch Test: Before applying Farmer Pete’s Manuka oil products to larger areas on your dog, perform a patch test on a small area of skin to ensure your dog doesn't have an adverse reaction.
- Ingestion Risk: Essential oils should not be ingested by dogs. Ensure your dog does not lick or consume Manuka oil or any other essential oil, as they can be toxic when ingested.
- Consult a veterinarian: If your dog has pre-existing skin conditions, allergies, or health issues, consult your veterinarian before using Manuka oil or any other essential oil product. They can provide guidance on safe usage and potential interactions with existing medications.
- Quality of the Oil: Purchase high-quality, pure Manuka oil products from reputable sources e.g Farmer Pete’s. Low-quality or adulterated oil products may not offer the same benefits and could even be harmful to your dog.
Frequently asked questions about Manuka Oil
Is manuka oil the same as Manuka honey?
The quick answer is no, Manuka oil is extracted from the leaves of the plant while Manuka honey is, of course, produced by very helpful bees. The full explanation is much longer, but also much more interesting.
Are there any side effects for you dog from using Manuka Oil?
Other than mentioned above, avoid using Manuka Oil products on pregnant dogs as it can stimulate muscle spasms that can induce labour.
How can I stop my dog from persistent scratching?
A dog that continually scratches and chews at their paws or skin can often result in more serious skin problems such as secondary skin infections. Farmer Pete’s Dog Manuka Balm will assist natural control of bacteria and reduce inflammation.
Formulated with the amazing healing properties of New Zealand East Cape Manuka oil the ingredients of this balm may assist the natural soothing and healing of all skin irritations and skin discomfort. Manuka Oil is known to have powerful natural anti-inflammatory properties that may also assist skin regeneration for healing, soothing, and repair.
Our amazing Manuka Dog Balm is created with naturally nourishing ingredients to create a beautiful smelling and soothing moisturiser that may assist skin inflammation, skin discomfort, irritations, and scarring.
5 Key Application of Manuka Oil for your Dog
- Heals wounds and reduces scarring - Manuka oil works at a cellular level to repair skin damage and stimulate healthy new cell growth.
- Prevents and eliminates infection - Works at a cellular level to repair skin damage and stimulate healthy new cell growth. Scientific studies have shown that it is up to 1500x more effective than Tea Tree oil against a wide range of gram-positive bacteria. The naturally occurring β-triketone compounds are the driving force behind its efficacy.
- Soothes skin - The antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties of the oil help to reduce swelling and itchiness caused by insect bites and stings.
- Insect Repellent - As an added layer to keep pest away from you best friend.
- Relaxes the mind and body - This sweet, herbaceous oil helps soothe anxiety, depression, and stress due to its naturally occurring alpha-Pinene compounds.
Remember that while Manuka oil products may offer some benefits, it's not a substitute for professional veterinary care. If your dog has significant skin issues or health concerns, seek guidance from a qualified veterinarian to ensure proper diagnosis and treatment.
Conclusion on Manuka Oil For Dogs
This has to be one of the best things since sliced bread!
You have heard about it, but really didn’t know that much about it and how good it was for your dog.
So, to help you out we at Farmer Pete’s have done to research and created three fantastic products to assist you help your dog be the happiest and healthiest pooch they can.